Communicating for Success
Effective communication skills are critical for career and project success in the modern workplace. The ability to concisely package and deliver a targeted message to a specific audience is a valuable skill, sought after by employers everywhere. For some, being a strong communicator comes naturally, while for others, it is a life-long struggle. Most of us, however, fall somewhere in the middle. Improved communication skills result in more successful projects, increased operational effectiveness, and can lead to faster career advancement.
Through a combination of lecture, exercises, role playing, and self-evaluation, this course introduces strategies for members of a professional workplace to develop effective communication skills. Catering to different learning and communication styles, this course enables participants to examine their style of communicating with others, take steps to improve their interpersonal skills, and change their communicative behaviors.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the components of a message
- Identify and interact with different communication styles
- Use body talk and probing questions to enhance communication
- Use listening skills effectively
- Say the right things in difficult situations
- Maintain successful project team relationships through communication
- Write a concise and effective: problem statement, solution recommendation, and status report
- Understand the elements of a successful presentation
- Choose the best medium (meeting, phone, text, email, document, slideshow, spreadsheet) for a given communication objective
- Communicate effectively to different organizational levels: senior executives, immediate supervisors, peers, subordinates
E-mail Heith Hart or call (443) 692-6599 if you have any questions about this course or if you would like to be added to the interest list.