Introduction to Python Programming
This course is an introduction to computer science through problem solving and computer programming. Programming techniques covered by this course include modularity, abstraction, top-down design, specifications, documentation, debugging, and testing. Selected topics in computer science are introduced through programming projects in the Python language.
The core material for this course includes functions, strings, loops, and files. Students learn how to develop, test, and debug Python programs. Example programs are used extensively to illustrate object-oriented programming. Students complete numerous hands-on exercises to reinforce programming concepts.
- To develop problem-solving skills, especially in the use of computers to solve real-world problems.
- To learn basic programming skills, especially software development using the Python language.
- To be able to use Python to write programs to perform various user and administrative tasks.
- An introduction to computing with Python
- Computing with Numbers
- An introduction to object through graphics
- Lists, Strings and Files as Sequences
- Variables and Data Types
- Flow Control, Conditional Expressions, try and except statements
- Loops and Boolean expressions
- Basic Console Input and Output
- Defining and using Functions
- Top-Down Design
- Defining and using classes for encapsulation and abstraction
- Working with modules
- Sorting and searching an array
- Recursive Functions
- Web-Based Applications
Some prior computer programming experience or training is helpful but not required.
E-mail Heith Hart or call (443) 692-6599 if you have any questions about this course or if you would like to be added to the interest or wait list.