Java Wireless Programming
This four-day course introduces experienced Java programmers to the Java Micro Edition, or Java ME, and develops skills in Java programming for wireless devices via the Mobile Information Device Profile, or MIDP. The course begins with a top-down tour of the ME architecture, focusing on wireless programming via the Connected, Limited Device Configuration, or CLDC, and the MIDP. Students learn the simple Core API of the CLDC -- primarily by contrast to the Java Standard Edition Core API - and then move into the individual packages of the MIDP.
We then study MIDP development in detail, working through several chapters on user interfaces and event handling, to local record storage and network connectivity, and on to threads and timers. The course concludes with chapters on advanced topics including memory management, best practices, and "over the air provisioning," which is a standard deployment model for MIDP applications to wireless devices via HTTP, including a security model using digital signatures.
* Understand the Java Micro Edition architecture, and the stacking of virtual machine, configuration, and profile to address different types of micro devices.
* Understand the mission of the Mobile Information Device Profile, and see how programming for mobile devices is fundamentally different from Java SE programming.
* Build a simple, functioning "MIDlet."
* Understand the framework for packaging and deploying MIDlets to devices.
* Build user interfaces for mobile devices, including text presentation, graphics, keypad and pointer event handling, and multi-screen navigation.
* Save and re-load information from one MIDlet run to the next using the MIDP Record Management System.
* Make HTTP network connections from the mobile device.
* Use multiple threads and MIDP timers effectively.
* Manage memory usage conservatively in MIDP applications.
* Deploy completed MIDlet suites to mobile devices over the air.
Experienced Java programmers.
This course is intended for experienced Java programmers: Java Programming Bootcamp would be a good starting point for those without significant Java experience.
- Click here to request a price quote for group training.
- Click here to request
additional information or to be added to the interest list for this course. The interest list will notify you when this course and any closely related courses are scheduled for open enrollment.