January 5 – 23
Registration for Winter Session 2015 is now open!
- Current UMBC students - are eligible to enroll for winter session. Advising is recommended, but not required.
- Visiting UMBC students - must apply to UMBC and be admitted before registering for winter courses.
- Incoming UMBC students - new students already admitted for spring 2015 are eligible to enroll in winter session. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to change your semester start date to winter 2015.
- Winter Session offers mobile registration
- Courses with prerequisites may require permission to register.
- Use myUMBC to add or drop winter courses through January 5 with no academic or financial penalty.
- After January 5, please be aware of the schedule adjustment period.
How to add, drop, or swap a course:
Search the schedule of classes, view class details and class attributes:
- Not all "course subjects" listed in the online schedule of classes are offered each semester.
- To find out what courses are being offered, you can search the schedule of classes.
- View class details to see if there are any course enrollment requirements, how many seats are still available
- View class attributes (such as whether or not the class meets GEP requirements, or if there are additional fees associated with the class).
- If a course if full, use myUMBC to place your name on a waitlist.
- When adding the class during registration, check the box "Waitlist if class is full" and continue the enrollment process.
- If the class has a waitlist, you will be notified of your position on the waitlist after you have completed registration.
- You will NOT be automatically enrolled from a waitlist if you have a time conflict with another course, or if you try to enroll for excess credits (without approval).
- Last day students will automatically be enrolled in classes from the waitlists.
- Link to waitlist FAQ's.
Request excess credit approval:
- If you want to register for more than 16 credits (summer session) or 4.5 credits (winter session) you must submit a request to the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising.
- Advanced approval is required by both the student's primary major advisor and the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising
- When requesting excess credit approval, please allow at least a week before the start of classes to process your request.
Time conflict form:
- Except in extenuating circumstances, UMBC does not permit students to register for courses that are scheduled to meet at the same times or that overlap in meeting times.
- To be permitted to register for or add courses that result in a time conflict, you must complete a time conflict form.
- Both teachers of the conflicting classes will need to sign the form giving the student approval.
- The completed form must be brought to the Registrar's Office for processing prior to the end of the schedule adjustment period.
Course repeat petition:
- If you have taken the same course more than two times, you must request permission for a third and final attempt to the Office of Academic Standards and Policy Administration.
- Link to course repeat petition and checklist.
Independent study courses:
- Academic departments schedule independent study courses on an “as needed” basis. To request the course be added to the schedule, contact the appropriate academic department before the final day to register.