Visiting students are students who wish to enroll at UMBC for only one term, such as summer or winter session. For example, visiting students typically attend another college or university and want to earn specific course credits at UMBC that will transfer back to their home institution.
Visiting students must complete an application for admission for winter session.
NOTE: Inter-Institutional Enrollment applies to fall and spring semesters only. Students from other USM schools who wish to enroll in winter session must also apply to UMBC for admission.
- Verify courses transfer back to your home institution
- Apply as an undergraduate or graduate
- Activate myUMBC account (for first time myUMBC users).
- myUMBC will also create a UMBC e-mail account. Any official correspondence from the university will be sent via UMBC e-mail, so it is important to regularly check that account. Instructions to forward UMBC e-mails to an already existing e-mail account (Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) can be found here.
- Register for courses online (October 28 - January 1) through myUMBC.
- Get a parking permit, and review directions to UMBC and campus map
Please note: Parking permits should be secured several weeks in advance, as they will not be processed during winter break (December 25 through January 1).
- Obtain a campus card (student ID)
The UMBC Campus Card Office is located on the ground floor of the University Center.
- Pay student bill
- Purchase textbooks
Winter session textbooks are available in December at the UMBC Bookstore or can be ordered online. Textbooks, in the same condition as purchased, can be returned for a full refund with a sales receipt until January 8.
Verify class location and meeting times
Check final grades
If you need to order a transcript, please follow these directions from the Registrar's Office
PLEASE READ: Although the winter session application will be available online until January 5, Winter Session 2014 begins on January 2. Therefore, being admitted to Winter Session 2014 does not guarantee that you will be admitted to a course that begins on January 2.
During the schedule adjustment period (January 2 - 7) FIRST check with the instructor before adding a course to ensure missed course work can be completed. Courses added during the Schedule Adjustment Period will be assessed a non-refundable $20 late registration fee.