|Career advancement for obtaining degree
- Determine effectiveness, access, ensure continuation of, participation in by sharing information about:
- Support needed from administration and department
- Make courses more available (more offerings, evenings, online) and help administration, departments allow staff to take courses
- Are assumptions correct (staff and administration?)
- Offer flexible schedules/flex time
- Make available information on flex time
- (inequality across campus)
- Job sharing
- Continue good practices
- HR Training and Development Office as key center/contact
- Identify good practices across campus (Student Affairs, Library, OIT)
- List and make available to all departments
- Have Leadership, administration understand how this is good
- Encourage/require professional development plan for each staff member (part of PMP)
- UMCP has a model for this?
- Supervisors must be trained (planned)
- Accountability system for the requirement
- Pool resources for campus-wide workshops on career skills, career planning, negotiating, etc. (Women's Center, Career Services)
- Collaborative effort between several departments, centers with HR T/D in the lead
- PCOW should not be responsible for creating a pool of mentors, we can provide information sessions about mentoring opportunities on campus, what would be our goals? What other groups are doing/planning this?
- Determine how mentoring (in these areas) is being addressed currently on campus
- Academics: encourage women to pursue graduate studies
- What kind of advising available to prepare for graduate school, law school?
- Career: advising for staff available at the Career Center (confirm)
- Build sense of community among women at UMBC
- Women's Center should take lead
- Collaboration between women's groups on campus (Gender and Women's Studies Department, ADVANCE, etc)
- Information: Create, foster supportive networks of women on campus
- PeopleSoft had peer mentor model
- New Staff Orientation (planned)
- Where are the resources women need?
- Community list, everything a person needs, financial services e.g.
- Mentorship pool for new staff
- Foci: Move women further up the career ladder / support women in non-traditional careers
- Improve teaching skills for faculty and staff
- Faculty Development Center should take the lead
- Currently exists new faculty orientation, also done by Dept. chairs across campus
- Merit increases, tenure…could this be tied to teaching quality?
- Share information about opportunities (e.g. Skillsoft has project development training
- Continue Leadership Summit
- Encourage, perhaps through advertising, staff presence, attendance at numerous lectures and workshops available on campus
- Dr. Hrabowski encourages this through words (to always better yourself) how to make that real for women at UMBC?
- Determine what are the stressors for women
- Time management, organizational skills, making choices