Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What if I am sick after hours and need to see a doctor?

    If there is a medical emergency when UHS is closed, students may call University Police at extension 5-5555. The police will contact the on-call physician for UHS and the physician may contact the student, or suggest an ambulance be called.

  2. What health insurances are accepted at UHS?

    UHS accepts most major health insurance plans. There are some insurance plans that are not contracted through UHS, but a claim can still be submitted for your visit. Any amount not covered by your insurance will be billed to your student account.

  3. What is the difference between HMO, POS and PPO insurance plans?

    • HMO - Health Maintenance Organization. A referral is required from your Primary Care Physician (PCP) to see a physician outside of their office.
    • POS - Point of Service. Depending on your plan, you may also need referrals from your Primary Care Physician to be seen. You have the choice to go out of network and pay a co-pay or deductible.
    • PPO - Preferred Provider Organization. This plan allows you to be seen anywhere, at any office that you need care without a referral.
  4. What happens if my health insurance doesn't cover the bill for services?

    Any amount not covered by your health insurance will be billed to your student account.

  5. Can I be seen at UHS if I don't have insurance?

    Yes. University Health Services will never turn you away based on ability to pay. We try to keep our prices affordable and reasonable. Without insurance, you can either pay for services with your Campus Card, or your student account can be billed.

  6. What types of payment are accepted at University Health Services?

    UHS accepts campus card and personal checks. You can also choose to have your student account billed for services.

  7. Are my health records and information kept confidential?

    Yes. Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), all patients' health records at UHS are kept confidential.

  8. Will UHS come to classrooms, residence halls, etc. and do presentations about health and wellness?

    Yes. The Office of Health Education and the Peer Health Educators do all of the programming and outreach events on campus for a variety of health topics. Also, our Nurse Practitioners, Massage Therapist and Acupuncturist may be available to do presentations about specific health issues. For more information, call (410) 455-1558 or email

  9. Will UHS respond to health emergencies that occur on campus?

    UHS staff cannot treat anyone outside of our facility. Therefore, if a health emergency occurs on campus, you should call Campus Police or 911.

  10. How can I get a copy of my immunization record?

    Fax a signed note with your request, along with a copy of your photo ID to 410-455-1125. Be sure to include where you ould like the information sent. In some instances, there may be a charge for this service.

  11. Does UHS have a pharmacy?

    UHS has a dispensary where basic medications that are prescribed by UHS staff are available. The dispensary carries antibiotics, various birth control options and the Emergency Contraception (EC) Pill. UHS providers can also write prescriptions for medications not available in our dispensary. Patients can have prescriptions from Catonsville Pharmacy delivered to UHS