idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Welcome to Friends of Eden | Main | Exhibit A: Why Oh Why is Health Care Reform so Hard to Do? »

October 4, 2007 |Permalink |Comments (4)

(Not So) Gray Hair

This is a nifty example of almost (but not really) getting it.

You begin with some pretty "far out" and "crazy" talk like this from an AP article on the to "Gray or Not to Gray" controversy...

"Kathy Kolbe, a Phoenix-based public speaker and consultant to corporations on human instincts, is one of the comparatively few gray-haired women in business. After alternating between dyed and not, she declares herself now “permanently gray” after concluding it is an advantage in more ways than one.

"She noticed she got lots of offers of help on her business travels when gray peeked through — from hoisting bags into overhead bins on airplanes to other assistance — and “pretty much nobody offered help” when it was hidden.

“So I let the whole head go gray and, voila, doors magically opened,” said Kolbe, 65.

She senses the “look of wisdom” also has a positive impact on both employees and clients."

Then you talk about what you do...

"Gray Hair Management currently provides professional coaching to managers and executives to help them win the race for a new opportunity using unique techniques and processes."

Then you go with the visuals because, after all, every picture tells a story don't it.

nograyhair.jpg

Umm. Nice photo. Where's the Gray Hair?

Comments ( 4)

OK, I'm chiming in here, because this is a topic I can speak to with some authority. I color my hair. I admit it. For a while, I had this terrible angst and guilt about it. Given my work and the message I am trying to spread, it seemed hypocritical to deny my gray hair. But I have taken on a new view. I simply like my hair with color in it, not totally white. It is not ageism. I am 57 and proud of it. I will be proud when I am 87. But I will still have the choice of how to wear my hair. It is a simple pleasure, not a denial of or resistance to aging. Then why to I still feel guilty every time I go to the beauty shop? Next time you see me, I may be bald!

Choice of hairstyle and color is good with me. The point of my post is that it is somewhat odd to start a company called "Gray Hair Management" and then decorate your website with a photo of people who lack gray hair.

What's that about?

It's hard to separate the personal choice of hair coloring from the cultural implications of that choice. Ronni Bennett in her excellent blog Time Goes On offers a great analysis of this issue in her sharply critical review of "Going Gray" by Anne Kreamer.

It'd not the age, but the experience that one achieves Gray Hair status.

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School