idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Shou Xing: Let's Make a Deal Edition | Main | King Pong »

November 12, 2007 |Permalink |Comments (1)

The Duplex Planet

Judith Shapiro cuts loose in the comments bringing us a wonderful bit of art/poetry called the Duplex Planet.

DBGMay01MaciocePhotosm.jpgIn 1979 David Greenberger became the new young, fresh-out of art school activities director of the home. David encouraged Ernest to write poetry and over the last seven years of his life he wrote more than four hundred poems. David published a collection of Ernest’s poems, “We Did Not Plummet into Space”. David also published “The Duplex Planet”, 6-page typed and photocopied fold-over volumes that came out almost monthly, direct transcripts of conversations by the residents of the nursing home in response to typically quirky questions posed by David. I subscribed to “The Duplex Planet” twenty years ago and I hadn’t looked at my copies in many years, but thanks to this blog I found them in the bookcase, dusted them off and had a lovely afternoon revisiting them. I also found The Duplex Planet alive and well in the electronic age.

Welcome to the Planet.

Comments ( 1)

Thanks for getting back in touch - yes i'm still at it and the self-published periodical is still going - issue #180 just out (it went from 12 to 16 pages and has a 2-color cover now and continues to be printed, not photocopied). For the past decade I've been creating monologues with music - there've been a series of CDs and performances. I'm artist in residence in Milwaukee for the Univ of WI at Milwaukee's Center on Aging and will be creating a new work based on time I'll be spending with elderly dementia patients - will result in pieces for radio and a CD - and again will collaborating with a composer and musicians in that area (as i've done in previous works done in Portland, OR, Chattanooga, TN, Erie, PA and Cape Cod, MA)
Best wishes and happy new year,
DAvid

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School