idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Old Man | Main | Monkhouse Mondays: Care Ambassadors – Honors and Medals »

May 17, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (0)

Why I Blog

I sat down this morning and read this blog. I really liked it. That sounds funny but it's true. I love the insights that Christa Monkhouse (reporting from Europe), Al Power (reporting from America, mostly) and thirty something blog master Kavan Peterson (reporting from the first half of adulthood) offer me when I read their posts..

Thank you Al. Thank you Christa. Thank you Kavan.

I'll also admit that I like my posts as well.

Here's why...

Aging, questions related to aging, and the reality of human longevity have suffered from an age related intellectual apartheid

Over here, ladies and gentleman, we have mainstream media, the conventional wisdom and the status quo. Each of these entities perceives the world through the lens of youth, each interprets age as a falling apart, the loss of all that is good and right.

Over there, are all those strange people who are older or interested in the lives that older people are living. You know the drill. People make jokes about getting an AARP card in the mail, people say things about age that are both unthinking and unkind.

What I enjoy most is reconnecting aging with the whole of life. For example, look at my recent post on flying cars. What the heck do flying cars have to do with aging?

1) When I was a boy I loved space travel, astronauts and rocket science.

2) As I grew up I became less worshipful of technology and developed a better appreciation for what it can and can not do to improve our lives.

3) I can now freely admit that some of my childhood dreams were wildly impractical. I enjoy the video of the "flying car" because it helps me understand how I have changed, how I have grown. The machine looks silly to me, it is loud, clumsy and entirely impractical. I wouldn't want one even if the inventor gave it to me for free. I know better.

4) I have reached a point in life that allows me to value the things that technology and industry have gotten right and reject the things it has gotten wrong. Blogging -related technology is an example of something good. I like it because it connects me to others, makes it possible for me to communicate with tens of thousands of people who share my interests. It allows my readers to communicate with me.

Aging isn't about aging, aging is about everything.

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School