idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Age Progression Portraits | Main | Melatonin Nonsense »

May 14, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (1)

Pinnacle of Adaptation

category_bug_geriatrician.gif[Editor's Note: Below is a teaser to Dr. Thomas' new health column to be published bimonthly on www.timegoesby.net. Thanks to Ronni Bennett for inviting Bill to become the TGB Geriatrician.]

I am excited about guest blogging here with Ronni Bennett. TGB is a terrific blog and if I can add something of value to this community, I will be happy.

I am a physician and my background is in Family Medicine and Geriatrics.

My approach to medical issues tends to focus more on the big questions of emphasis and interpretation and less on specific remedies. (Although I do get into that from time to time.) In medical school we used to joke that certain professors seemed to have favorite molecules that they studied exhaustively. That's never really been my thing.

What do I mean by big ideas? Well, how about this: I believe that older people are the healthiest people on the planet.

Huh?

Aren't old people sick most of the time? What about all of the billions of dollars we spend on Medicare? What about the statistics that show older people using the most health care resources per capita of any age group?

Those objections are valid, but they miss the deeper reality.

Click here to continue reading the TGB Geriatrician...

Sign up to receive The TGB Geriatrician by email.

Comments ( 1)

Thank you so much for your wonderful and much needed contribution regarding aging. I, too, was fortunate to grow up with many older people around who gave me comfort in my youth. I still miss them today.
I've spent several years volunteering on weekends and lunch breaks in nursing homes counseling people my age and older. It's a privilege to be around those who have so much insight and honesty. It's a disgrace in the way most of them are disregarded!

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School