idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Monkhouse Mondays: Timeless Beauty | Main | Race versus Age »

July 15, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (5)

Eldercare Learnings

This is an interesting and useful site. It is like a seedling and will grow over time.

Eldercare Learnings

The Eldercare Learnings website is dedicated to people who are committed to providing intensive care to their aging parents.

This site has been launched to encourage the sharing of eldercare stories. Share your stories---if you have lots of experience or if you are just getting started and feel somewhat overwhelmed. This community needs you!

The focus is on stories and stories have the power to change everything.

Comments ( 5)

I found ElderCare Learnings while searching for information on how to help care for my elderly parents. I was really inspired by the reasons for the site, and check back often for additional inspiration and support in my own battle to make sure my parents are well cared for. Many of us are suprised to find what a battle it is to simply get humane and dignified treatment for our parents (spouses, relatives, friends, etc..) - so a website like this that offers stories of what works and what doesn't is invaluable.

My interest in elder care developed when I had the unique opportunity to care for an elderly couple in their home. Although just a young college kid at the time, I was awakened to the numerous challenges to providing home care. I believe this country needs more resources to help those individuals who what to care for their aging parents.

Louise Morman's experiences with her Mom and Dad inspired me and, in turn, my siblings, to work together to keep our elderly father at home. Once we committed to home care, the people we needed to make it happen were there to be hired and to help. In April, after more than two years, Dad died peacefuly in his own house at age 94.

As is often the case we are provided with what we need when we need it. Eldercare Learning is a fantastic site that is helping me on several different levels. As an older student completing my MA in Clinical Psychology I am closer than my fellow students in terms of making arrangements for my own parents care, which I am currently on the precipice. It is scary place to be for a myriad of reasons, including watching the physical and mental decline of those closest to my heart. In my Lifespan (Older Adults Section) there has been considerable discussion on the lack of assistance/resources & direction available for families during this difficult phase of life. Sons and daughters stress and emotional turmoil can only be, if at all, compared to that of their parents’, whose independence, pride, and dignity becomes increasing dependent upon others while they face their mortality. Given the complexity, cost, and inadequacy of our healthcare system, Eldercare Learning is a much needed and invaluable resource. The Eldercare web site is similar to that of a Sherpa at the base of Everest. It is through the experience of many that the climb, although not ever easy, becomes less treacherous, and a sense of solace is found in the knowledge that we are not alone accompanying our loved one’s to the summit. Not only will it continue to be a valued resource for me, and my clients, but also to the hundreds and likely thousands of people who will benefit as a result of my professor, all his students, and eventually their clients utilizing this resource, which at the end of the day will hopefully make our parents’ transitions a little easier. I honor you Louise for having the courage and the wherewithal to transmute your most painful experience into something that will benefit many for years to come.

Louise is a good friend and an inspiration to anyone dealing with the healthcare system. She persevered through the madness and turned her chaos into something useful for others.

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School