idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Chillaxin | Main | On a lighter (summer) note, ageing images »

August 19, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (1)

Buon viaggio, Bill!

Bill is spending the rest of August near Siena in Tuscany. I had a nice visit there with my family in 2005. There is a wonderful traffic-free piazza, Il Campo:
Piazza.jpg

Every July and August, they run the Palio, a horse race around Il Campo, in which the 17 neighborhoods of Siena compete for top honors. In fact, it was supposed to be today! I wonder if Bill caught it...

We had a great stay at Albergo Bernini and a particularly memorable meal at Ristorante Guidoriccio. The owner tried to tell us they were booked, but my wife said he had been recommended by Rick Steves, and he melted and told us to return in a half hour. Then he served us a five-course meal which he personally selected and a bottle of the wonderful Brunello di Montalcino, which was only about $15 there, but costs 3 - 5 times as much here.

My other recommendation to Bill was to take the train a few hours north to my favorite spot from our Italian travels, Vernazza on the Ligurian coast. Here's my favorite photo of the town from our trip:
Vernazza_2.jpg

It may be a bit overrun by tourists in August, but it quiets down at night, when most of them leave, or along the trails which lead to the other seaside towns of the Cinque Terre.

Buon viaggio, Bill!

-- Al Power

Comments ( 1)

Hey Hi,

You have posted some very nice images in your blog article.

I am founder of Mnemonic Dictionary, http://www.mnemonicdictionary.com where we tag images and relate them to words. So, trying to create a picture dictionary. Please let me know if you have your images in flickr with CC commercial license, would love to link them with words.

Cheers,

Amit

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School