idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« This Blows Me Away | Main | Obama Worldwide »

August 15, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (2)

Power-Up Friday: Reader Challenge

In an effort to solicit more comments from readers, I'd like to offer a little challenge: What are some of the unexpected ways that the aging of our population might change societal conventions and standards over time? Positive and negative ideas both count.

For example: Will we have different views about the economic value of sports stars and entertainers? Will charitable donations and volunteerism increase or decrease? Will roadways or traffic patterns be constructed differently? What will TV look like? In what ways will the frontiers of technology change?

I have no idea. I'm just asking. Send us your thoughts - let's have a conversation.

I will close with the Quote of the Week, courtesy of Mimi Bommelje: "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

-- Al Power

Comments ( 2)

...therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man....and nowadays more and more....on women! Story in the Econmist:

Getting more women on board
Aug 5th 2008
From Economist.com

I'll throw my $.02 in. Though it may not be how I actually feel about this issue, but nonetheless an ever-present issue that I wonder about. Here goes...Because of the lack of caregivers available to care for the rapidly aging population, the oldest-old in particular, we will be forced into methods of intense institutionalization. A reversal of current de-institutionalization practices, such as households, greenhouses, culture change, etc. In order to receive the best quality care rooms will be no bigger than broom closets to facilitate "efficiency" and effectiveness. Quality care will be provided by (and measured on) a strict clinical basis. Because of the lack of caregivers, the most fundamental and basic needs (physiological needs, as Maslow would say) will be the minimum standards of compliance (much like the regulatory process works today). What a sad, sad state of affairs.

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School