idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Blanchard Wins Days: Aging In Community | Main | Movie Stars Are Immune from Aging »

September 25, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (7)

I'm Talking Old

Well-being-- it is what we all want-- young and old alike.

TOKYO - The world's oldest man celebrated his 113th birthday on Thursday, telling reporters at his home in southern Japan about his joyful life and healthy appetite.

"I'm happy," said Tomoji Tanabe as the local mayor presented him with flowers and a giant tea cup glazed with his name and date of birth. "I'm well. I eat a lot," he added.

Tanabe, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living male last year, eats mostly vegetables and believes the key to longevity is not drinking alcohol.

More Here

Comments ( 7)

113 is an impressive age, but what impresses me more is that he has no major illnesses!

I would like to share the perspective of one of my residents who is 99 years old whose ancestors have lived to be 104-108. He proclaims that when a person lives to be 100 they generally outlive most if not all of their friends and become an obligation to younger family members. I have shared this blog with him.

I admire his strong will to continue to live...I believe that his diary reflections assist in his continued growth. He is a great example for elders. It always amazes me how people in the Japenese culture live longer and healthier lives to us in the American culture? Why is that??

He eats lots of vegetables and is cutting back on oily foods. Wow, it sounds like he is on to something! It is too bad that a good portion of Americans are not following suit.

Healthy eating is important but I believe that most of the folks in Japan live quite simple lives, work hard and those in the country are not as open to the western culture. I beleive those who are IN Toyko and not 564 or so miles south are much in the western culture, stress, city smog and fast food (still healthier than US) and we will see that the live span records declining. Elders are not pampered but respected. They are not overweight and they know how to live with in their means.

This is totally cool. I will eat all the vegetables in the world. But we all already know Healthy eating is important. Since not drinking alcohol he believes this is the key to longevity i will do that too. It seems to have worked for him. Everybody longs for longevity.

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School