idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« Power Up Friday | Main | A Week At Work »

November 28, 2008 |Permalink |Comments (0)

Blanchard WinsDays

Making New Thanksgiving Traditions

As one of seven children, Thanksgiving brings back wonderful memories of childhood, crowded around the table with siblings, family and friends enjoying an overflowing table of goodies. I love the Holidays, but being 2000 miles away from the nearest relative makes it somewhat a less than boisterous meal with my comparatively small family of two children and my husband. Usually, we pair up with other families that are in similar situations to create our own extended family of sorts. That was the plan for this year, but unfortunately the host at the last minute had to cancel leaving us scrambling for other plans.

This past week, I have been doing interviews with members at our Unitarian Universalist Congregation. I am shocked by how many have been members for 30 or more years, once very involved in volunteer and social activities, that no longer participate as much and feel as a consequence they are now growing “invisible.” When asked, several shyly told me that they had no Thanksgiving plans – children had moved away, friends have passed on and there isn’t really a meaningful place or people to spend the day with…. Or is there?

This year, we will spend the early afternoon delivering lunches to homebound elders and others, and the early evening we will enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner in community with about 40 other members of our Church family, several some of my new elder friends. We plan to bring board games and stay late, creating a new tradition that feeds the belly and the soul. How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

-1.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving! Janice Blanchard

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School