idea9.jpg

Callout

Search

follow drbillthomas at http://twitter.com

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Category Archives

Monthly Archives

Subscribe to this blog's feed Subscribe to this blog's feed

ElderbloggersRule.gif

Announcements Retirement Living TV

Blog Data

Top Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Politics blogs

Directories Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Directory of Politics Blogs

Ageless Project

Bigger Blogger

Blog Directory

Blog Universe

« She Bang | Main | At War Over Lipitor »

November 4, 2007 |Permalink |Comments (4)

The God of Longevity

One of the Fu Lok Sau Trio, Shou Xing is depicted here carrying peaches (these perishable fruits are thought to represent immortality) and a good fortune bat.

godoflongewvity.jpg

More to come on Shou Xing later this week.

Comments ( 4)

Saw a good movie last night – “Away from Her.” This Canadian film takes a look at the changing relationship between a devoted husband and wife who must come to grips with the affects of Alzheimers disease. As someone who works in a long term care environment, I tried to view the film through the eyes of the patient (the wife), the husband, the caregivers and the administrator. After watching the film, my husband commented on how awful this disease is, that takes away people’s dignity. I realized we were seeing the same film through different filters. While the disease is terrible, and the husband suffered greatly, the wife with the disease was relatively content. She was fortunate to live in a demential care facility where she was well cared for. Her dignity was intact. She began to care for another resident and people enjoyed her company. She wasn’t the same person, but she was still making a unique contribution. Without giving away too much of the movie, I would recommend watching it to anyone working in a LTC environment. It’s interesting to see our “workplace” from the perspective of the person for whom it is a care facility. The movie stars Julie Christie, Gordon Pinsent and Olympia Dukakis.

********************
I also tried to send a post for the Halloween section related to terminal adolescence. If it came through, it was not complete -- the page 'disappeared' before I could finish it. Please let me know and I'll correct it and/or resubmit.

I adore peaches, but I have no desire to be immortal! Other than having the usual aging-related physical issues, I'm finding that I continue to love being whatever age I am.

I wanted to say that I really enjoyed your two-part interview with Ronni. It was a pleasure to hear such common sense being articulated by a younger man. Thank you! :-)

Thanks for the nice comment and the best news is that tomorrow I will wake up one day older that I was the day before.

Funny the way that works...

You mean all I have to do to achieve an extraordinarily long life and perhaps even immortality is eat peaches (every day, I suppose) and carry around a bat (live, I suppose)? Hey, sounds doable to me!

Wow, and here I thought I'd have to buy, and read, Choprah's and Oz's books.

I googled the Fu Lok Sau trio and discovered that this peach-eating, bat-bearing guy (named Shou Xing) costs only $14.90 at a Feng Shui shop. A bargain at any price, eh? For the amazing benefits, I mean.

Post a comment

Remember me?

(You may use HTML tags for style)

©2007 Erickson School